Prawns gravy is a very delicious gravy. The best combination for this gravy is with Roti/Chapathi or Phulka. This is a very easy recipe which can be made without any fuss. Some may have problem cooking non-veg. This will not go wrong even for first timers. I found this recipe in fb and have tried this a few times and it is a hit among my kids.
Prawns are a variety of seafood which gets cooked in just 5 to 7 mins depending on the size of the prawns. Overcooking these will make them rubbery. So just look out for the prawns to become pinkish or take a prawn out and cut it using a spoon to check whether it is cooked.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Non-Veg Recipes/Side Dishes for Chapathi | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 3 to 4 | Recipe Source: Passionfood (in FB)
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Onion – 1no. (Small Sized chopped as shown -OPTIONAL)
- Prawns – 500 gm (Cleaned and Deveined – I used Queen Prawns)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp. (Chopped Finely)
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp. (Increase or Decrease accordingly)
- Salt as needed
- Onion – 1no. ( Medium Sized chop roughly)
- Tomato – 1no.(Medium Sized chop roughly)
- Green Chilies – 3 Nos.
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Coriander Stem – 3 tbsp.
- Cumin/Seeragam – 2 tsp.
- Turmeric – 1/4 ” piece (If using fresh – or add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder)
- Coconut – 2 tbsp. (Fresh or Dessicated)
- Salt as needed.
- Take all your ingredients ready.
- Take the onion, tomato, garlic, green chilies, cumin, coriander stem, coconut, turmeric(if using fresh) in a blender with little water and make it into a fine paste.
- Chop one small onion(optional).
- Take oil in a vessel and ad the chopped onions and salt and cook them until translucent.
- Now add the ground paste and add salt and red chili powder if needed.
- Cook till oil oozes out of the mixture.
- Now add little water according to the gravy consistency and allow it to boil.
- Time to add the prawns.
- Just cook them for 5 to 7 mins. Keep checking after 5 mins. Take a prawn and check if it can easily be cut using a spoon.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and then switch the stove off.
- Prawns Gravy is ready to be served with roti/pulka or any naan variety.
Note : Clean the prawns and devein it before starting the other preparations.
Adding an onion in the start is my preference. Can skip if you don’t want. Directly add the ground mixture to the oil instead.
Check the spice level before adding the red chili powder.
Prawns don’t take too long to cook so keep an eye after adding them in the gravy. The time to cook the prawns depends on the size of the prawns also. So be alert.
Can add boiled potatoes to the gravy also. Kids will love them.
I used fresh turmeric so I put them while grinding the paste. If using the turmeric powder add it after the onion gets cooked.
Add water according to the consistency one likes.
To Make The Gravy:
Prawns Gravy is ready to be served. Serve them with roti/pulka or any naan variety. Try and let me know if you liked it.