Paruppu Usili is a preparation like vada but in a deconstructed way. Haha yes instead of mixing everything to make vada’s we just saute them one after the other and the outcome is this wonderful Paruppu Usili recipe. It can be done with Beans, Snack gourd, Vallaipoo and even beetroot.
I like this preparation as my mom used to make this at home with the snake gourd veggie. It goes well with any Rice & Sambar combination or with Rice & Rasam combination.
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side Dishes for Rice/Dal Recipes | Soak time: 2 to 3 hrs | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 to 30 mins | Serves: 4
- Chana Dal – 1/2 cup
- Fennel Pdr./Sombu Pdr. – 1 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder – 1 1/2 tsp. (Increase or Decrease accordingly)
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp.
- Onion – 1 (Big sized – Finely Chopped)
- Beans – A handful
- Coconut – 1 1/2 tbsp. (Fresh grated)
- Salt – As needed
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Mustard/Kadugu – 1/2 tsp.
- Urad Dal/Ulunthu – 1 tsp.
- Hing – 1/2 tsp.
- Take all the ingredients and get them ready.
- Soak chana dal for atleast 2 hours.
- Slice onion and beans finely and set aside.
- After the chana dal gets soaked, drain the water completely and grind them in batches by sprinkling little water. It should neither be too soft nor too coarse. Set aside.
- Take oil in a vessel and temper mustard, urad dal and curry leaves along with hing.
- Add onion and saute till translucent.
- Now add the chopped beans and cook it for few mins.
- After that add the masala’s and cook until the raw smell goes.
- Next add the ground chana dal and saute till it gets cooked. Cover and cook and keep stirring occasionally as they might get stuck to the bottom easily.
- Finally add the grated fresh coconut and give it a good stir and switch off the stove.
- Beans paruppu usili is ready to be served with Rice & Sambar or Rice & Rasam combination.
Note : Make sure to soak the chana dal for atleast 2 hrs. Otherwise grinding them will become very difficult.
The ground mixture should not be very watery. While grinding don’t add lot of water just sprinkle water little by little.
Can add little turmeric powder while cooking.
If you don’t have fennel powder then add fennel to he blender and give it a whirl and then add the chana dal.
Can use dry red chilies instead of red chili powder. Need to grind it along with the dal.
Add little more oil than a normal recipe as this needs them.
The Beans Paruppu Usili is ready to be served. Serve the mwith any Rice & Sambar or Rice & Rasam combination. Try and let me know if you liked it.