Idly Upma is a quick fix for the left over Idli’s. It tastes great when done this way and it doesn’t look like a dish made out of left over. Some may not eat the left over stuff but giving it a new look and changing it’s taste makes it more acceptable. No worries for the women at home eating the left over all on her own. Its so easy to make and it can be had with any kind of sambar varieties.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Quick Fix Recipes | Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2 to 3
- Left over Idly – 5 to 6 nos.
- Onion – 1 small (chopped as shown)
- Green Chilies – 1 to 2 no. (Slit open or cut into half)
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin Powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Yogurt/Curd – 1 tbsp.
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt as needed.
- Mustard/Kadugu– 1/2 tsp.
- Urad Dal/Ulunthu – 1 tbsp.
- Take all your ingredients ready.
- Chop the onion as shown below.
- Take the yogurt and add salt required for the preparation of the idly. Add water and make a slurry.
- Dip the idli’s into the yogurt mixture and remove it and just squeeze the excess water in it.
- Now crumble the idli’s using your fingers and put them in a vessel. Repeat the same with all the idli’s and set aside.
- Take little oil in a vessel and temper mustard, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Allow the urad dal to brown well.
- After that add the chopped onion and the green chilies.
- Allow the onion to get cooked.
- Now add the crumbled idli’s into the vessel and mix everything well.
- Finally add the pepper and cumin powder and give it a thorough mix.
- Switch off the stove and enjoy with your favourite sambar varieties.
Note : Crumbling the idly’s into bigger lumps makes it nice. It gives a texture to the upma.
I like to add more urad dal as it gives a crunchy texture and it tastes good.
Wait until the urad dal gets browned, it has to be crunchy to the bite.
As we are adding the salt to the yogurt mixture we don’t need to add for the onions. That salt is enough.
Dip the idli’s for once and then remove it it will absorb the salt and will make it tasty. Squeezing the excess water from the idli’s is a must, if not then it will become sluggish.
I used my mini idli’s here to make this upma.
The Idly Upma is ready to be served. Serve them with any variety of sambar. It is a quick fix for the left over idli’s at home.
One thought on “Idli Upma”
Hey this is actually a cool idea..As you stated it’s normally done as an evening snack with leftover idlis from the breakfast..The yoghurt dip sounds interesting. .I never tried that I just crumble the idlis into the tadka mix..maybe il try this …awesome. .thanks for sharing this..😊👍👍
LikeLiked by 1 person