Vegetable Fried Rice is an easy rice variety which can be prepared within mins if the rice and the vegetables are ready. The addition of vegetables can be according to ones liking. I haven’t added capsicum as my elder one don’t like the vegetable. Adding juveniles of capsicum will lent a variety in colour. Fried rice can be a bit of a relief when it comes to packing kids lunch boxes. Yes it can be done easily in the morning with some left over rice.
One can debate whether this is a fried rice or a pulao. Am also very confused. Haha. Nobody can clearly say the difference between the two rice varieties. My mom always makes this way of fried rice so I have followed it exactly.
Lets just get to the recipe now. Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Rice Varieties | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 30 mins(Including making of rice) | Serves: 3 to 4
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Rice – 1 1/2 cup
- Water – 2″ more than the rice.
- Beans – 1/2 cup (chopped small as shown)
- Carrot – 1/2 cup (Chopped lengthwise as shown)
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (Cut lengthwise as shown)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
- White Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp. (can increase or decrease according to taste)
- Spring Onion – 2 to 3 springs
- Salt as Needed.
- Take all your ingredients.
- Soak the rice for 20 – 30 mins.
- Take water in a vessel and allow to come to a boil and add required amount of salt. Then add the soaked rice to it and cook till done.
- Drain it in a colander and set aside. Allow it to cool.
- Chop carrot, beans and cabbage and get everything else ready.
- Take oil and ghee in a vessel and add all the whole garam masala and a bay leaf.
- Then add the beans and stir till half cooked. After that add the carrots and then the cabbage.
- Add the ginger garlic paste when the veggies are almost cooked but still crunchy.
- Wait till the raw smell of the ginger garlic paste goes.
- Now add the required amount of salt just for the veggies.
- Then add the white pepper powder and mix everything well.
- Finally add the cooked rice and mix everything well.
- Now add the spring onions and switch off the stove.
- Vegetable Fried Rice is ready to be served.
Note: Soaking the rice is a must, as it helps in getting the long grain.
Cooking rice to the correct consistency is very important.
Instead of white pepper powder you can add black pepper powder.
You can add capsicum cut lengthwise (Julienned). Different colours of capsicum can be added. Any vegetable of your choice can be added.
Vegetable Fried Rice is ready to be served. Serve it with any Gravy of your choice. I served it with Peas and Tofu Gravy.