Beetroot the colour says it all. Love the colour, the deep red or pinkish red colour. This chutney was introduced to me only in Malaysia. My co-sister taught me this and it used to be the favourite of all. Its very easy to make and tastes great. It is a good combination for Idly or Dosa.
Other than this recipe we make beetroot masala vadai, beetroot poriyal,kurma & masala. Will share the recipes soon.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Idly/Dosa/Chutney | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
- Beetroot – 1(grated medium size)
- Onion – 1 (chopped medium size)
- Red chili – 2 (reduce according to taste)
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Mustard/Kadugu – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – A pinch
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Grate the beetroot.
- Chop onion and get all your ingredients ready.
- Take equal amount of onion and beetroot.
- Add oil to the pan and temper the mustard and urad dal along with a pinch of hing.
- Add curry leaves and then the red chilies.
- Now add onion and saute for few mins.
- Add grated beetroot and saute till they get cooked well.
- Switch off the stove and wait till the mixture cools down. Now blend everything along with salt and tamarind paste in the blender.
- Check the taste and serve with Idly/Dosa.
Note : I like to add a bit more of the Urad Dal in my chutneys as it gives a great taste.
Beetroot is supposed to be sauteed well until the raw smell goes, so to make this easier I grate the beetroot instead of chopping them.
Do add the chili one by one, check the spiciness and then add more if needed.
You can temper in the end also if you like it that way.
The Chutney is ready to be served with either Idly or dosa. Try and let me know if you liked it.