Carrot chutney is just the same kind of the onion tomato chutney but it has an extra healthy ingredient – carrots. It doesn’t have any extra taste. Some kids may not like carrots. This is an easier way to make them eat carrots. Actually mom’s have a great task in giving nutritious food for their children. Most of the kids nowadays don’t like anything that is healthy, they want to eat all the junk food. So this is a healthier option to include carrots this way. Most of the time blending will make it easier to eat. So here is a very easy recipe which can be had with Idly or Dosa. This chutney is just like the onion and tomato chutney but here carrots are added to it.
Carrot Chutney can be done with lot of variations. No body can tell this is the recipe. Some add coconut some don’t. Some use green chilies instead of red chilies. So the variations may vary from person to person. My way of making it is without adding coconut. I like to add little coriander and the taste gets different.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Idly/Dosa/Chutney | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 to 20 mins | Serves: 3
- Onion – 1(medium size) or 1 cup chopped
- Tomato – 1 (medium size) or 1 cup chopped
- Carrots – 3 small sized (grated) or 1 cup grated
- Urad Dal/Ulunthu – 1 tbsp.
- Hing/Perungayam – 1/8 tsp.
- Dry Red chili – 2 (Reduce or Increase according to taste)
- Tamarind paste – 1/4 tsp (Reduce or Increase according to taste)
- Curry Leaves – A Spring
- Coriander Leaves – little (Optional)
- Salt as needed
- Mustard/Kadugu – 1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Chop onion and tomatoes and grate carrots.
- Get all your ingredients ready.
- Add oil in a pan add urad dal allow it to brown and then add a pinch of hing.
- Add curry leaves and then the red chilies.
- Now add onion and salt.
- Saute for few mins until they become translucent.
- Add grated carrots and saute until cooked.
- Finally add tomatoes and saute till they get cooked well and get mushy.
- Add little coriander leaves.
- Switch off the stove and wait till the mixture cools down. Now blend everything along with tamarind paste in the blender.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper mustard, urad dal and curry leaves and put them over the chutney.
- Check the taste and serve with Idly/Dosa.
Note : I like to add little more Urad Dal while saute’ing onion as it gives a great taste. Adding curry leaves while sautéing is just a healthy notch.
You can chop the onion and tomatoes thin so that it gets cooked easily. The onion should get sauted well until the raw smell goes.
Adding equal amount of carrot, onion and tomato gives a yummy taste, but you can add less tomatoes and add more tamarind paste also.
Do add the chili one by one, check the spiciness and then add if needed, while blending.
You can temper in the end if you like it that way. Or this step can be omitted and tempered in the beginning itself.
Adding coriander leaves are optional.
Carrot Chutney is ready to be served with either Idly or Dosa. Try and let me know if you liked it.