This is a unique chutney which always gets appreciated by others. Whenever this reaches the table the guests come & definitely ask you”pass me the recipe please”. It’s another chettinad special. Yes this is a superb combination for Ulunthu/Medhu Vadai, Kuli Paniyaram, Masala Paniyaram & Vellai Paniyaram. It’s an easy chutney to be made.
This is called “Red Thovayal/chutney” by the colour of the chutney. Thovayal is a prominent name given for all the chutneys made in chettinad. This chutney is done by sauteing the onion and tomatoes well before blending, there is another variation of this chutney in which the onion and tomatoes are ground raw and then cooked – will post the recipe of that also soon.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Idly/Dosa/Chutney | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 to 20 mins | Serves: 2
- Onion – 2(medium size)
- Tomato – 2 (medium size)
- Dry Red chili – 2 (reduce according to taste)
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Mustard/Kadugu – 1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp.
- Hing/Asafoetida – A pinch
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Chop onion and tomatoes.
- Get all your ingredients ready.
- Add oil in a pan and temper the mustard and urad dal along with a pinch of hing.
- Add curry leaves and then the red chilies.
- Now add onion and salt.
- Saute for few mins until they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute till they get cooked well and get mushy.
- Switch off the stove and wait till the mixture cools down. Now blend everything along with tamarind paste in the blender.
- Check the taste and serve with Idly/Dosa.
Note : I like to add a bit more of the Urad Dal in my chutneys as it gives a great taste.
You can chop the onion and tomatoes thin so that it gets cooked easily. The onion should get sauted well until the raw smell goes.
Adding equal amount of onion and tomato gives a yummy taste, but you can add less tomatoes and add more tamarind paste also.
Do add the chili one by one, check the spiciness and then add if needed, while blending.
You can temper in the end also if you like it that way.
The Onion & Tomato Chutney is ready to be served with either Idly or Dosa. I served them with hot medhu/ulunthu vadai. Try and let me know if you liked it.