Kathirikai/Brinjal kootu is a preparation liked by my FIL. He loves this a lot. It is an easy preparation and can be done in a jiffy with the pressure cooker. Cooking in pressure cooker without mashing the ingredients is a skill to attain. This kootu is gud when the brinjal does not loose its shape. They call it “Kathirikai oda uruvam theriyanum” means the shape of the brinjal should be retained. This is an authentic preparation which comes from the old generations.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Rice | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- Brinjal/Kathirikai – 3 medium sized (Chopped in cubes)
- Onion – 1 small
- Toor dal – 1/ cup (half cooked)
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt as needed
- Cumin – 1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Chop brinjal as shown.
- Chop onion and get all your ingredients ready.
- Add onion, brinjal/kathirikai, toor dal, sambar powder and salt in the pressure cooker.
- Now add just half glass of water.
- Cover and pressure cook for just one whistle in high flame.
- After the pressure gets released open the pressure cooker and check the taste and adjust accordingly.
- Add oil in a small pan and temper cumin and urad dal along with curry leaves.
- After the urad dal gets brown add the tempered mixture into the brinjal kootu.
- Bring it to a boil and then switch off the stove.
- Serve it with rice.
Note : Use the round brinjal or the big one for this preparation.
Cooking the kootu for just one whistle in high flame allows it to retain its shape without getting mashed.
Add curry leaves as I didn’t have that day.
Can add fresh scraped coconut if you like.
The Kathirikai Kootu is ready to be served with rice. Try and let me know if you liked it.
One thought on “Brinjal/Kathirikai Kootu”