Raw Onion & Tomato Chutney/thovayal or you can call it as vathakatha red thovayal is similar to that of the onion & tomato chutney/Red Thovayal which I have posted earlier. The variation in this chutney is that the onion & tomato are ground raw and then cooked until done. This way of preparing the chutney gives a very different taste on the whole. It is no where near the other onion & tomato chutney. But this chutney is the best for Vellai Paniyaram and Adai. Will post the recipes of both soon.
I served this with Adai.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Idly/Dosa/Chutney | Prep time: 10 mins |
Cook time: 20 to 30 mins | Serves: 2
- Onion – 2 big sized (chopped roughly)
- Tomato – 1 big sized (Chopped roughly)
- Red chili – 2 (reduce according to taste)
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard/Kadugu – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal/Ulunthu – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Chop onion and tomato & get all your ingredients ready.
- Take the onion, tomato, red chilies and salt in a blender and blend everything to a smooth paste.
- Add tamarind paste and adjust the taste accordingly.
- Now heat gingelly oil in a vessel.
- Temper mustard and urad dal.
- Add curry leaves and now add the ground mixture and give it a stir.
- Cover and cook until all the water is evaporated in the chutney.
- Keep stirring occasionally and cook until the oil oozes out.
- Now the chutney is ready to be served with idly/dosa.
Note : I like to cook the chutney until the oil oozes out, this ensures that the onion and tomato mixture is cooked well. It can be switched off even after 15 mins of boil.
Adding little jaggery in the end will also taste good.
Do add the chili one by one, check the spiciness and then add if needed.
The Chutney is ready to be served with either Idly or dosa. The best combination is with Adai or Vellai Paniyaram. Try and let me know if you liked it.