Tofu – Does it ring a bell in all your heads. Yes it is similar to Paneer. Paneer is made with cow’s milk, whereas tofu from soy milk. As the word soya all of us can shout “healthy”. Yes it is a healthier option compared to Paneer. As my hubby was born bought up in Malaysia tofu used to be commonly available when compared to Paneer. Malaysian cuisine claims more usuage of tofu in different forms. After marriage I got to live there for almost 8 years and I also like Tofu a lot. So we guys prefer Tofu rather than Paneer. It doesn’t taste very different also. All of you can try this version of my TOFU BUTTER MASALA.
I adapted this recipe from VahRehVah but changed according to my way.
Cuisine: Indian(North) | Category: North Indian Side Dishes | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 30 mins |
- Onion – 1 small sized(finely chopped)
- Tofu – 2 slices 1″ thick (or as required)
- Red chili pdr.- 1 1/2 tsp. (reduce/increase according to taste)
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Kasuri Methi – 2 tsp.
- Salt as needed
- Onion – 1 big sized (roughly chopped)
- Tomatoes – 4 medium sized (roughly chopped)
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Green chilies – 2 nos.
- Cashew – 15 nos.
- Raisins – 20 nos.
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Chop onion, tomato & get all your ingredients ready.
- Cut the tofu into 1″ pieces and set aside.
- Take oil in a pressure cooker.
- Now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and fry for a min.
- After that add onion and tomato and saute for 2 mins.
- Add cashews and raisins and add one cup of water and close the pressure cooker. Cook for one whistle.
- Meanwhile take oil in a pan or vessel and fry the tofu cubes until slightly golden. Set aside.
- Now after the pressure releases transfer the contents to a blender and allow it to cool.
- Add a cup of yogurt.
- Blend the contents to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take a vessel and add little oil and butter.
- Add onion and fry till they are translucent.
- After that add the ground paste and required amount of salt.
- Now add red chili powder and garam masala powder and allow it to simmer for 5 mins.
- Time to add the fried tofu cubes.
- Again cover the vessel and allow it to simmer for another 5 mins. This will allow the juices of the gravy to seep into the tofu pieces.
- Finally crush the kasuri methi and add them in the gravy. Allow it to boil a min. and then switch the stove.
- Tofu Butter Masala is ready to be served with roti/phulka or any other naan varieties.
Note : Tofu should not be fried until crisp. Need to be fried until the pieces are golden colour.
Adding yogurt while blending the contents is better.
Using pressure cooker is my way of doing it, I like it that way. Easier also. It can be done on stove top also the nthe cooking time will vary.
If you like the gravy to be silky smooth no need to add onion, just add the ground paste and do everything else.
The Tofu Butter Masala is ready to be served. Serve them with roti/phulka/naan/stuffed roti’s. Try and let me know if you liked it.