Am yet again with the a recipe using TOFU. Our family is a Tofu family. We love tofu to paneer and use in many ways in the kitchen. I have another recipe using tofu in blog – Tofu Butter Masala. Tofu is from soya and is a healthier option too. This is an easy recipe to follow. Even a beginner can do it. It’s a South Indian influenced masala and goes well with any Rasam and Rice combo or Sambar and Rice combo. I learnt this masala when I was in Malaysia from my MIL.
I add it with vegetables along with soy sauce and add them to my noodles and rice vermicelli. So Tofu is a must in my house. It’s in my weekly grocery list. Will share the other tofu recipes soon. I can say those who don’t like tofu also will like it this way. This is Harish’s (Elder son) favourite. He takes curd rice and this masala to school – otherwise refuses to take South Indian food. He can eat this anytime.
Do try and let me know if you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Rice | Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 10 to15 mins
| Serves: 4
- Tofu – 2 blocks ( 2″ x 2″ block of 1″thickness)
- Onion – 1 No. Medium (Roughly Chopped)
- Onion – 1 No. Small (Chopped fine as shown)
- Tomato – 1 No. Large (Roughly chopped)
- Garlic – 1 No. Clove (Big – Crushed)
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp. (Increase or decrease accodingly)
- Salt – As needed
- Get all your ingredients.
- Chop the onion and tomato. Cut tofu as shown.
- Now take little oil in a vessel and add the rough chopped onions to it and saute till they are translucent.
- Meanwhile blend the tomatoes in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Then add the cooked onions to this mixture and blend them together until coarse. Set aside.
- Take a dosa tawa and add little oil. Place the cut tofu on it and allow it to get browned in medium flame.
- After that turn the tofu pieces to cook the other side.
- Remove the tofu to a vessel and set aside. Cook the tofu in batches until all are cooked.
- Now heat oil in a vessel and saute the crushed or grated garlic. Cook for few seconds until before it browns.
- Then add the fine chopped onions and saute till it gets cooked and then add the grilled tofu to it. Saute for a minute.
- Now add the red chili powder and mix everything well. Cook till the raw smell goes. Add salt at this stage.
- Finally add the ground mixture to it and mix everything together gently. Cover and cook till all the water evaporates and masala is thick.
- Enjoy the masala with any gravy and rice.
Note : Tofu can be available in any shape in your locality. So just approximately add it.
Adding finely chopped onion are optional. Can skip this also. Instead add the tofu after sauteeing the garlic and then follow the rest of the steps.
Can grind dried red chili along with the tomato and onion and then add it to the masala. In that case skip the red chili powder. Adding two red chilies will be good to this. Can increase or decrease accordingly.
Add salt carefully as adding half the required amount will be enough. It doesn’t take too much salt.
Tomatoes can be ground smooth but the onion if ground coarse will be good. But if it becomes smooth no worries.
The Tofu Masala is ready to be served with any rice & sambar or rice & rasam combo. Try and let me know if you liked it.