Potato Roast is the best potato fry I have eaten. This is linked with my childhood, yes my mom makes this for us. Its so easy but yummy too. This is one of the dish which I learnt to make when I was in college. I used to make this when my mom is off to the village. Its very good with any variety rice, best with rasam and appalam/papad. This is the best option, when its a very tiring day or when we don’t have much time to cook lavishly. Now my elder son likes this a lot and he asks me to prepare this for his lunch.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes For Rice | Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
- Potato – 2 medium sized (chop as shown below in the pictures)
- Sambar Powder – 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. (Reduce or Increase accordingly)
- Salt as needed.
- Take all your ingredients ready.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them as shown below.
- Heat oil in a vessel and deep fry the potato pieces.
- After it gets cooked remove them and set aside. It should’t be very crisp. It should be cooked but soft.
- Now heat a vessel with little oil and add 1/4 cup of water to the oil.
- Make a concoction by adding sambar powder and salt.
- When it starts to boil, foaming in the corners add the fried potatoes into the concoction and mix until all the pieces coat well.
- Now cover the vessel with a lid and cook in a very low flame. Let it cook until the potatoes roast and ooze the oil out.
- Serve them with any variety rice and appalam/papad.
Note : Frying the pieces is very essential in this recipe. Make sure the fried pieces are not very crisp, i.e, golden brown. It should be soft.
No need to add any onion or tomato or any tempering. Its delicious as such.
No need to drain the fried potato pieces in kitchen towel. We can remove them in a plate or a vessel and then add them along with the little oil in there.
Adding water to the oil and making the concoction helps the masala to coat evenly on all the pieces. Be little careful while adding water to the oil as it might splutter.
This is a very dry preparation, it compliments very well with rasam and rice.
The Potato Roast is ready to be served. Serve them with any variety rice. It tastes heavenly with just rasam and rice long with some appalam/papad. Try and let me know if you liked it.