Potato for Poori is something I never liked a lot. It used to be a bit more runny in consistency than the one I have made here. At my mom’s place we used to have it with yogurt. But this used to be the combination for poori all the time when we were in Malaysia. I never used to enjoy. But my co-sister started doing the same potato a bit thicker like how I have done here, this is yum. All credit for this recipe goes to my co-sister. Thanks to her after this way of doing I stopped complaining and started enjoying.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Poori | Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- Potatoes – 5 large
- Onion – 3 (chopped lengthwise medium size)
- Tomato – 2 (chopped lengthwise medium size)
- Green chilies – 5 (reduce or increase according to taste)
- Ginger – 1 1/2 tbsp. (grated or finely crushed ginger)
- Turmeric -1/4 tsp.
- Salt as needed
- Fennel/Sombu – 1/2 tsp.
- Pepper/Milagu – 1/4 tsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Boil the Potatoes in salt water and remove skin and mash them fine.
- Take all other ingredients.
- Take oil in a vessel and temper fennel, pepper and curry leaves.
- Crush the ginger using mortar & pestle or grate it using a fine mesh.
- Add the crushed ginger and sauté until the raw smell goes.
- Now add onion,green chilies and salt. Salt only for the onion and tomato, as the potato has salt in it.
- Add turmeric and let the raw smell go.
- Time to add the tomatoes and cook until they get mushy.
- Now add the mashed potato and mix them all well.
- Sprinkle little water and adjust the consistency.
- Check the taste and switch off the stove.
- Serve with hot Poori’s.
Note : I like the potatoes mashed up well. If you like them with pieces then need not mash them fine.
Don’t add too much turmeric. The potato needs to be light yellow and not bright yellow.
I like to add ginger more. This makes it more tasty. If you don’t like ginger don’t add the mentioned quantity just add little less.
This is a heavenly bite. Enjoy With your hot Poori’s. This is the best combination for Poori. Do let me know if you all liked it.