Raw banana or Plantain or Valakai masala/stir fry is a superb combination with rice. It is a simple dish which can be prepared very easily. This dish was introduced to me only in Malaysia. My mom used to make it in a different way. My MIL makes it like this. This is always a hit when you make it for anyone.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Rice| Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins |
- Raw Banana/Plantain/ Valakai – 3(Chop as shown in picture below)
- Onion – 1 (chopped large size)
- Red chili Powder – 2 tsp.(reduce according to taste)
- Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Salt as needed
- Fennel/Sombu – 1/2 tsp.
- Urad dal/ulunthu – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Peel the skin of the valakai/plantain/raw banana and chop as shown.
- Chop onion and get all your ingredients ready.
- Take oil in a pan and temper fennel/sombu and urad dal/ulunthu.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to splutter.
- Now add onion and saute until they become translucent.
- After that add chopped valakai/plantain/raw banana.
- Saute for few mins and when they are cooked a bit add salt and mix well.
- Add red chili powder, mix well and cover and cook until tender.
- Now the masala is ready to be served with hot rice.
Note : Adding more onion makes the masala tasty.
Adding a bit more oil than required for any other masala and allowing it to cook in the oil makes it more delicious. Health conscious people can reduce it, instead sprinkle water at the end and cook.
The Red chili powder should give bright red colour and less spicy. If using a spicy chili powder reduce accordingly.
Cutting the valakai/plantain/raw banana as shown allows it to cook easier.
The Valakai Masala is ready to be served with rice. Try and let me know if you liked it.