Papaya Mousse is a very interesting dessert. Yes am going to post my first mousse recipe, and that’s with papaya. I love papaya. Generally mousse is something which is a bit difficult to make. But this is a very easy recipe which has no gelatin. The Papaya is a fruit which has an enzyme called Papain and that’s the magical enzyme which allows it to set itself. Yes no need to add gelatin at all.
Actually I tried to make some papaya mousse earlier and it was a flop. The fact of papaya setting itself was the clue I had. So keeping that in mind I tried some recipe which called for yogurt and lime. I added those to the papaya and I just set it in fridge but nothing happened. The recipe I tried was calling for gelatin. But I didn’t use it. Then after that I didn’t give it a try for quiet sometime. One day I made a thick papaya milkshake with just papaya, honey and milk and had half the cup and stored the rest in the fridge for evening. To my surprise when I took it out in the evening the papaya has set.
Hooray, Finally I found the secret and I tried this version and it was a huge hit.
Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
Cuisine: World | Category: Dessert Recipes | Prep time: 10 mins | Setting time: 2 to 3 hrs | Makes: 5 small serving Glasses
- Papaya – 2 cup (chopped into cubes)
- Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp (Reduce or increase accordingly)
- Whipping Cream – 200 ml
- Take all the ingredients.
- Chop the papaya to cubes by removing the skin and seeds.
- Reserve some papaya cubes for adding in the mousse later.
- Add the papaya cubes and sugar to a blender and make a smooth puree.
- The puree will measure a cup.
- Now whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Take a bowl and transfer both the papaya puree and the whipped cream.
- Fold everything together.
- Now add the reserved papaya cubes and mix everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into serving glasses.
- Set the mousse in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hrs or until served.
- Now time to devour the mousse. Enjoy.
Note : Adding chopped papaya cubes in the end gives an extra bite to the mousse. If you want a silky smooth mousse as every other mousse then don’t add them.
For 1 cup of the puree add a cup of whipped cream. The 200 ml cream gave 1 cup of whipped cream.
Adding Greek yogurt instead of whipping cream is a healthier version.
For those who are vegan can use cashews instead of whipping cream or yogurt. Blend the cashews along with the papaya and set it in the refrigerator and enjoy.
The Papaya Mousse is ready to be served/devoured. Enjoy the richness of papaya with the help of this preparation. Try and let me know if you liked it.