Ok am back again with another chettinad recipe. Have anyone heard or seen the White Chili/Vellai Milagai. Its so small but hot. Something like the chili padi which is available in Malaysia. But those are green are red. I have not seen these chilies in chennai also. It is available in the village. But I brought the chili’s with me when I travelled and am trying to grow them here. Fingers crossed if it will grow in this climate.
This is spicy and it’s a great combination with idly or dosa. It goes well with curd rice also. If you get this chili do try it. It’s so delicious and its a great change from everyday sambar and chutney varieties. It’s healthy as it has small onion in them. Do not compromise on the shallots it would not be tasty with the normal big onion.Hope you all will try and let me know how much you liked it.
If you find these white chilies do try this recipe it will definitely be the best for idly/dosa and curd rice.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Chettinad Recipes/Side Dishes For Rice/Side Dishes for Idly/Dosa |
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
- Shallots/Small Onion – 20 to 25 nos.
- White chili – 5 nos.
- Tamarind Paste – 1 tsp. (Can increase or decrease according to taste)
- Moong Dal – 2 tbsp. (cooked)
- Salt as needed
- Mustard/Kadugu – Less than 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin/Seeragam – Less than 1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal/Ulunthu – 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Take all your ingredients ready.
- Chop the shallots and white chili.
- Take oil in a vessel.
- Temper mustard, cumin, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Then add the white chilies and fry them.
- Now add the chopped shallots and required amount of salt.
- Cook them until translucent.
- Now add the cooked moong dal, tamarind paste along with some water.
- Allow it to boil and adjust the taste at this stage. Let everything cook well.
- Switch off the stove and add some coriander leaves and serve them with curd rice or with idly/dosa.
Note : Using shallots is the best in this recipe. But if you don’t get them then u can replace it with normal onion but the taste will be compromised.
You can add a pinch of turmeric if you feel the color is very pale.
Vellai Milagai Pachadi/ White Chili Gravy is ready. Do serve them for idly/dosa or for curd rice. It tastes so good. Do try and let me know if you liked.