Many of us think there is no need to make paneer when it is readily available. But when it’s so easy to make paneer at home then why go buy is my concept. Am not sure about making tofu so I go buy them in the supermarket. Paneer is made with milk and some vinegar or lime juice. Until after going to Cairo I had not tried this at home. Most of them know how to make but this post is for those who don’t know and have never tried hands on making Paneer.
Making it at home is not that expensive as the expense is only the cost of milk. Another thing is, it is fresh & not like the packed ones. Make them and use them in your favourite gravies. Hope you all will try.
Category: How to make/Homemade | Prep time: 10 mins | Set Time: 1 hr | Makes: 1 block
- Milk – 1 litre
- Vinegar – 1 to 1 11/2 tbsp.
- Take the milk and vinegar.
- Take a vessel which fits the strainer.
- Line it with a muslin cloth and keep it ready.
- In a vessel boil the milk.
- When the milk comes to a boil lower the flame.
- Now add a tablespoon of vinegar and gently mix it. You can see the milk will start to curdle.
- If all the milk has not curdled add a little more vinegar and give it a gentle stir.
- All the milk will curdle and that is seen when you see a green water instead of milk and all the curdled paneer will be left.
- Now pour everything in the strainer.
- Lift the muslin cloth and tie it in a place where all the water can drain.
- After half an hour take the muslin cloth and allow it to set by placing a heavy weight on top of it.
- This allows it to set in a flat shape.
- After half an hour remove it from the muslin cloth and cut into desired shape and use it in your favourite gravies.
Note : Use whole fresh milk. Not the long life one or the low fat milk. Both will not give good results.
Instead of adding vinegar we can add lime or yogurt also.
The whey water is very nutritious so don’t throw it away. You can use it to knead atta, in making soups, in gravies ……………
The Paneer is ready and it can be used in your favourite dishes.
One thought on “Homemade Paneer”
LikeLiked by 1 person