Corn and Spinach baked pasta – this dish is the outcome of Venkatesh Bhat Samayal Samayal recipes. He had made a baked corn and spinach dish. Yes I just added Cooked pasta to it and made it a Corn and Spinach Baked Pasta. This is a one pot dish. I have always wanted to do a baked pasta dish so this is the end result of my try. But it turned out to be a great hit with my kids. My elder son told me the spinach is tasting so good and the smell of spinach is not there. Making kids eat healthier is a challenge and this made it easier. Actually the pasta varieties with any sauce is a no no for my hubby, so we make them when he is travelling and not around.
OK. Lets get to the recipe.
Cuisine: World(Italian) | Category: Spaghetti/Pasta Recipes | Prep time: 10 to 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins |
Bake time: 7 to 10 mins | Baking Temp. : 250 Degree Celcius : Serves: 3 to 4
- Pasta – one cup
- Spinach – two handful (or a big bunch)
- Corn Kernels – 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (Chopped)
- Onion – 1 medium sized (Chopped finely)
- Salt – As needed
- Cheese – 1/2 to 1 cup Shredded ( Preferably Mozzarella and cheddar mixed)
For White Sauce
- Butter – 2 tbsp.
- All purpose flour/Maida – 2 tbsp.
- Milk – 250 ml/1cup
- Salt – As needed
- Pepper – A lavish sprinkle
- Mixed herbs – 1 tsp. (dried or fresh)
- Take all the ingredients ready.
- Take a baking dish and grease it with a tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Chop the garlic and onion.
- Blanching Spinach: Take a vessel, add water & sugar. Allow it to boil.
- Meanwhile chop the stems of the palak/spinach and clean it in cold water.
- After the water comes to a rolling boil add the spinach and blanch it for two mins.
- Now strain it in a colander and run cold water.
- After it gets cooled rough chop the spinach and set aside.
- Cooking Pasta: Take a vessel, add water, salt and a little olive oil. Bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add any pasta of your choice.
- Cook it as per the instructions in the pack till it gets almost done.
- Drain it in a colander and run cold water over it and set aside.
- Preparing the Spinach: Take a pan and add olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for few mins. Then add the onion and salt. Allow the onion to cook for few mins.
- Now add the blanched and chopped spinach. Sprinkle some crushed pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degree Celsius.
- Making the White Sauce: Let’s prepare the white sauce.
- Heat a vessel and add the butter and reduce the flame and allow it to melt.
- Add the flour to it and cook to get a sandy consistency.
- Now add the milk to it and use a whisk to attain a lump free mixture.
- Add salt and pepper and add the corn kernels and stir for few mins.
- Finally add the cooked pasta and the spinach mixture to the white sauce and mix everything well.
- Check and adjust the taste. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer everything to the greased baking dish and bake it for just 7 to 10 mins until the cheese on top melts and becomes golden brown.
- Take it out and allow it to cool down. Enjoy the baked pasta – a one pot meal.
NOTE: I have used palak, the normal spinach variety can also be used. Generally spinach has thick leaves.
Adding sugar while blanching the spinach retains the green color of the spinach.
If using a frozen corn just wash them few times in running water and then add them to the white sauce.
Cheese can be either a mix of mozzarella and cheddar or just cheddar.
Can use any other variety of pasta also.
Cooking The Pasta:
Preparing The Spinach:
Making White Sauce:
Preparing the dish for baking:
Creamy Baked Corn and Spinach Pasta is ready to be served. This is a wholesome dish. Do leave your comments if you liked it.