Hi all. It’s been long since I have posted. Was busy as I had guests and then went for holidays and now looking for a good kindergarten for my little one. So thats the story behind my absence and am WISHING ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016.
Here I am with a masala powder I want to label it as SAMBAR MASALA. This is just like the GARAM MASALA used in North Indian Dishes to enhance the flavours that will Tinlge-UR-Tastebuds. Yes this Sambar Masala can be used to flavour the sambar we make for Idly or Dosa. Just the way we add the garam masala to the dishes at the end add this masala powder to sambar’s that we make for Idly/Dosa. This will elevate the taste of the sambar so much that your guests will ask you the recipe. Make this powder and add to your sambar and let me know if it tasted great. This is a magic done in chettinad homes.
The Sambar Masala Powder requires only three ingredients and it can be made easily and stored in an air tight container for a month or so. Next post is the making sambar for mini idly and will show the usuage of this sambar masala in it.
Hope you all will try.
Category: Masala Powders | Prep time: 10 mins | Makes: 1/2 cup or more
- Dry Red Chili – 20 Nos.
- Methi Seeds/Venthayam – 2 tsp.
- Hing/Perungayam – 1 1/2 tsp.(Ground)
- Take all your ingredients.
- Dry roast the dry red chilies in a pan at slow flame and set aside to cool.
- Dry roast the methi seeds in slow flame for few mins and set aside to cool.
- Take the chilies and methi seeds in a dry blender and grind then to a coarse powder.
- Now add the hing powder and give it a quick swirl.
- Transfer it into a container and store it outside or in refrigerator.
- Add them at the end while making a sambar for Idly/Dosa.
Note : This can be done in small quantities and added to the sambar immediately, but making it little more and storing will save your time.
If using hing in blocks powder them first and then add the red chilies and methi seeds later.
Don’t grind it to a smooth powder, it has to be a bit coarse.
The Sambar Masala powder is ready. It can added to the sambar made for Idly/Dosa, this elevates the sambar to another level and it tastes awesome.