Am posting this recipe to salute India. This tri coloured dish replicates the colour of our flag. This is a tribute to the republic day January 26th. It’s an easy dish to make. It is healthy too as it has three vegetables. This can be made soft or you can leave the vegetables a bit crunchy. We all like them a bit crunchy it is very good that way. This dish(Poriyal) can be made along with some puli kuzhambu/spicy gravies, it goes well with that, as it is a mild it can reduce the heat a bit when had together.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Rice | Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 3 to 4
- Carrot – 1 cup (cut them as shown below)
- French Beans – 1 cup (cut them as shown below)
- Cauliflower – 1 cup (cut them as shown below)
- Onion – 1 (chopped as shown)
- Green chili – 2 (cut into half or slit open)
- Toor dal – 2 tbsp.(cooked)
- Salt as needed
- Fennel/Sombu – 1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal/Ulunthu – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Chop the carrots, beans and cauliflower as shown.
- Chop onion and green chilies and get all your ingredients ready.
- Take oil in a vessel. Temper fennel and urad dal.
- Add curry leaves and then the green chilies.
- Now add onion and saute for few mins.
- Add the chopped beans and saute for few mins.
- Next add the chopped carrot and saute for few minutes.
- Finally add the chopped cauliflower.
- Add required amount of salt and allow everything to cook. The vegetables can be crunchy or soft. Cook until you achieve the desired nature of the vegetables.
- Now add the cooked toor dal and mix everything well, check and adjust the taste.
- Switch off the stove and serve it with rice & sambar combo or rice & rasam.
Note : No need to pre-cook the vegetables. That will loose the shape of the vegetable.
Grated paneer can be added at the end. this will make the dish a bit richer.
Adding Toor Dal binds everything together. If adding Paneer then can skip the toor dal.
This stir fry/poriyal is a great combo with ennai kathirikai kulambu and rice or with any Spicy Gravy/Puli Kuzhambu also. As the gravy is spicy this is a great combination.
The Carrot Beans Cauliflower Poriyal/Stir fry is ready to be served with any rice & sambar or rice & rasam combo. It’s best with any kind of Spicy gravy/Puli Kuzhambu. Try and let me know if you liked it.