Maharashtrian Varan is a dal preparation that’s popular in Maharashtra. I like the flavours that go in this dal as it is so yummy and simple to prepare. Actually I have noticed with one of my North Indian friend saying when she prepares Idly at home they make the sambar and coconut chutney together. Same happens at my house, if I prepare any stuffed paratha then it will have to be made with some gravy along. This is a must as my hubby says he cannot eat it with yogurt or pickle alone. Think it is like this in any North Indian homes and South Indian homes. Hope am reflecting most of your thoughts. So the dal preparations comes in rescue at these times. Yes I prepared this for aloo paratha once and it can be even had for just rice and roti. This is a comfort food in all Maharastrian homes. Yes the dal chawal is a real comfort food –try it and you will not be disappointed.
This dal preparation can be done in a jiffy if you have the toor dal precooked. Do try and let me know if you like it.
Cuisine: Inidan(Maharashtrian/North) | Category: Dal Recipes/Side Dishes for Chapathi | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 3 to 4 | Recipe Source: madhurasrecipe
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Butter – 1 tsp.
- Toor Dal – 1/2 cup (pre cooked)
- Onion – 1 medium sized (chopped as shown)
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (chopped as shown)
- Garlic – 3 big cloves (Crushed or grated)
- Green chilies – 4 to 5 nos. (Cut into small pieces)
- Red Chili Pdr. – 1/2 tsp. (Increase or decrease accordingly)
- Corinader Leaves – 1 tbsp. (Chopped)
- Mustard/Ulunthu – 1/2 tsp.
- Cumin/Seeragam – 1/2 tsp.
- Curry Leaves – A Spring
- Take all your ingredients.
- Pre cook the dal for 4 whistles or until soft and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter together in a vessel.
- Temper mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Add cumin and then add the chopped green chilies.
- Now add the crushed garlic and allow it to brown a bit.
- Add a spring of curry leaves to it.
- Then add the chopped onion and salt to allow the onions to sweet out faster.
- After the onion gets cooked add the chopped tomatoes.
- After the tomatoes become mushy add the red chili powder and turmeric.
- Now add the pre cooked toor dal and enough water to the dish.
- Mix everything well. Cover and simmer to allow everything to cook for few mins.
- Check the taste and switch off the stove. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- The Maharashtrian Varan is ready. Serve it with roti/phulkha/paratha or rice.
Note: Pre cooking the dal helps prepare the dal very easily.
You can chop the garlic also. Crushing makes it cook easily.
Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
We can make the whole process in a pressure cooker also. Pre cook the dal and set aside. Take the pressure cooker and follow all the steps and allow it to cook for two whistles in high. The Varan will be ready.
Tempering can be done in the end also.
The Maharastrian Varan is ready to be served. Serve it with roti or rice. This is a very easy to make and its a non fussy recipe too. COMFORT FOOD – Hot Dal Chawal(Hot Dal with Rice) do try and let me know.