Kachori – It’s a popular snack in the streets of many north Indian states. Its a spicy treat that can be had with tea or even as a breakfast. Generally they make the Kachori’s using all purpose flour – maida. But I have made it using a mixture of atta and maida in equal proportions. It doesn’t make any difference. We can make with just atta also. The filling here I have done with peas/matar. But the filling can vary – it can be with black urad dal, onion, potato and moong dal.
I have not tasted these delicacies until few months before. Actually in Samayal Samayal, Chef Venkatesh Bhat did these awesome kachori’s in one of his episodes. I have followed his recipe here. Many of my new dishes are from his episodes. He is a great cook and he makes it very easy for anyone to follow. These Kachori’s are now getting famous in my house. All have become a great fan of these.
Try these awesome kachoris at home and do let me know how you liked it.
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Snacks/Tea Time Snacks | Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 10 to 15 mins per batch | Makes: 12 to 15
- Oil – For deep frying the Kachori’s
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
- Atta – 1 cup
- Oil/Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Water – As needed
- Salt as needed.
For The Filling
- Peas/Matar – 2 1/2 cups
- Cumin/Seeragam – 1/2 tsp.
- Jeera Pdr./Cumin Pdr. – 1 tsp.
- Amchur Pdr./Dry Mango Pdr. – 1/2 tsp.
- Red Chili Pdr. – 1 tsp. (Increase or decrease according to taste)
- Green Chilies – 2 Nos. (Chopped finely)
- Ginger – 1″ Piece (Grated or Crushed)
- Salt – As needed
Making the Dough:
- Take all your ingredients.
- Take maida and atta in a bowl.
- Add oil/ghee and salt. Make a stiff dough by sprinkling water to it.
- Cover it using a kitchen towel and set aside for atleast an hour.
Making The Filling:
- Take all your ingredients ready.
- Pressure cook the matar/peas with enough salt, for just one whistle and drain them in a colander.
- Take a pan and add little oil. Temper cumin.
- Add the finely chopped green chilies and crushed/grated ginger and saute for few mins.
- Then add the precooked peas/matar and mash them using a potato masher.
- Now add the masalas – red chili powder, amchur powder and jeera powder. Mix everything well.
- Check the taste and add salt if needed. Saute the filling till dry.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Allow the filling to cool completely.
Making the Kachori’s:
- Take the dough and divide them into small roundels.
- Apply oil in your fingers and flatten the dough.
- Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the filling and cover the dough to make a potli.
- Finally flatten the potli to a flat disc by pushing the filling to the corners.
- Make the Kachori’s and cover them using a damp cloth.
- Heat oil in a vessel for deep frying the kachori’s.
- Fry the Kachori’s in medium flame in batches. Each batch should take atleast 10 to 15 mins to become golden brown.
- Drain them in a kitchen towel. Serve them hot with green chutney or date chutney.
NOTE: Matar/Peas can either be pressure cooked or microwaved. But it should be mushy.
The filling should be dry. If it is watery then the dough will get soggy and you will not get a crispy kachori.
The dough should be stiff. Not too dry or too soft. If it is too dry the flattening of the dough will crack at the outside. If the dough is too soft then it will be crisp but not flaky. The kachori will be oily also.
Can use only maida or the combination of maida and atta or can be done with only atta also. Make sure the dough consistency is perfect.
Frying the kachori’s at right temperature is the key to this dish. The oil should not be too hot – this will not allow the dough to cook inside. If the oil is too low then it will absorb more oil and will not become crisp.
The kachori’s should be fried like we fry the jamun’s for the gulab jamun.
The stuffing can be kept more or less according to one’s like.
Make sure the kachori’s are sealed well to avoid oil seeping into them.
Too much pressure on the potli while flattening will tear them.
Making The Dough:
Making The Filling:
The filling is ready so set it aside to cool completely before making the kachori’s.
Making The Kachori:
Matar Ki Kachori is ready. Serve them with any date chutney or mint chutney. Do leave your comments if you liked it.