Brinjal/Kathirikai Masala, yes this is a very good side dish for either rice or chapathi. Brinjal I think for many it may not be a favourite vegetable. But I can assure you this masala recipe will make you like brinjal. This masala recipe is adapted from Malaysia. One can see this preparation in all the wedding lunch or any other function. Its more sweet than this version. But as a spice lover I like it a bit spicy. This masala is a bit sweet, tangy and spicy. This is the specialty of this recipe.
Ok lets get to the recipe.
Cuisine: Indian(South) | Category: Side Dishes for Chapathi/Side Dishes for Rice | Prep time: 10 to 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 2 to 3
- Brinjal/Kathirikai – 4 long brinjal variety (chopped lengthwise as shown)
- Onion – 1 big sized (chopped as shown)
- Tomato – 2 big sized (chopped as shown)
- Sambar powder – 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. (reduce or increase accordingly)
- Tamarind paste – 1 1/2 tsp. (reduce or increase accordingly)
- Jaggery – 1 1/2 tsp. (reduce or increase accordingly)
- Salt as needed.
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Fennel/Sombu – 1/2 tsp.
- Urad dal/Ulunthu – 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon/Pattai – 1/4 ” piece.
- Curry Leaves – few leaves
- Chop the brinjal/Kathirikai, onion and tomatoes.
- Get all your ingredients ready.
- Take oil in a pan and temper Cinnamon, fennel/sombu and urad dal/ulunthu.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to splutter.
- Now add onion and saute until they become translucent.
- After that add the cut brinjal.
- Add salt along with it and mix everything well. Allow the brinjal to get cooked.
- After that add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Now add sambar powder & tamarind paste.
- Mix well and cover and cook until tender.
- After everything gets cooked add the jaggery and give it a stir. After a minute switch the stove off.
- Now the masala is ready to be served with Rice/Roti.
NOTE: Add some water in a bowl and immerse the chopped pieces of brinjal in it. This helps discoloration of the brinjals.
Adding more oil will make the dish delicious. As the brinjal has to cook in the oil and no need of any water.
Serve the Brinjal/Kathirikai Masala with Rice or Roti . Do leave your comments if you liked it.